Wednesday, February 4, 2009

February 4th




I found the picture on the left in my photo album. I didn't know what it was from at first, but I eventually pieced it together.

When we last left off, I was heading out for my last class on Tuesday. This was the class that would make or break my life until the end of May, and happily I can announce that not only is the class itself awesome, but also that I was the recipient of an impressive quantity of lucky occurances. Okay, right, so I lost this form--No, actually let's rewind. The class I had last night is an upper division class that Freshman can only get into if they obtain three signatures.

1.) The signature of their Advisor
2.) The signature of the head of the faculty department
3.) The signature of the teacher.

I got #2 first, as it was the most daunting and the one that I figured that would take the most time to acquire. I was then planning on getting #1 and #3 last night. Now, I had had a nightmare a couple days back that I lost this form with the head of the faculty's signature on it, and that it was just minutes before class and that I would fail to get into the class as a result. And then it happened. Minutes before the class I could not, for the life of me, find the form. It's so creepy when bad dreams come true like that. Like, part of you just knows, and there's nothing you can do to change it. I took a new form to the class so I could get #1 and #3, but I was still just not looking forward to getting #2. Again. But as I was walking into class I saw a woman sitting in the back. And that part of me that knew I was going to lose the form knew she was the head of the faculty department, the one person I wanted to see the most but had never met in person, Ms. Janell Shearer. So I got her signature. And then she was like "Hey, I'll sign for the teacher too." So in thirty seconds I recieved #2 and #3. And then I forgot who my advisor was, so I just started exploring Dodge college looking for familiar names on the office doors. And I found her too. So #1, #2, #3. All squared away nicely.

The teacher for the class is named Bill Kroyer. I suppose his most famous thing is directing the animated film FernGully: The Last Rainforest. It's one of those film's everyone has seen, but just might not remember. As a kid, I loved that film. But then I never saw it again, and I eventually forgot the name. When he started showing his reel though, I was just stunned. I recogonized everything. And I'm pretty sure everyone else in the class did too. It was funny, at one point he was talking about how an ex-army man worked his way up through the animation industry quickly and landed a job at Blur Studio. And everyone in the class gasped. Only a bunch of animation dorks would know and really appreciate something like that, and, I don't know. It was just kind of nice to be in similar company.

We had a professional advertisement photographer come in today as a guest speaker. Talk about talent. Jeez, seriously some people were just made to do what they do. He's been out of college for just over a year, and already he's making more than enough money to support himself. He talked about all the magazines his photos have been in, and the list just went on and on. And he was half-British. So that always helps.

Speaking of professional photography, here are some recent snapshots, camera-phone style.











I have a floor meeting pretty soon where we meet the new transfer students. Last time there were animal crackers, this time, I can only hope so much.

No comments: